For 532 years the Brotherhood of the Immaculate Conception has been organizing the celebrations of the Festivity of the Immaculate Conception in the Basilica and, this year, proposes the following program:
- From Monday 29th of November to Tuesday 7th of December in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception located in the cloister of the Seu:
- 6.30pm: Rosary and singing of the Joys at the Immaculate Conception.
- 7pm: Mass.
- Sunday 5th of December at 12pm: Guided tour. Route to the neoclassical chapel and to the first terrace of the temple, from where visitors will enjoy magnificent views of the city. The guidence will be by the Friends of the Seu. It is mandatory to book this visit in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org // 93.872.15.12
- Wednesday 8th of December at 10.30am: Trabucada. Due to the pandemic and although the situation has improved, the Traditional Pass has been canceled. Instead, the Trabucaires of Manresa will make a few salvos outside of the Basilica, before Mass (to announce it) and after it (in honor of the Virgin).
- Wednesday 8th of December at 11am: Solemn Mass. Presided by Father David Guindulain Rifà SJ, rector of the Sanctuary of the Cove of Manresa and accompanied by the Capella de Música de la Seu, who will perform the songs of the festivity. It will end with the singing of the ‘Goigs de la Puríssima’ and the popular Salve. After the Mass, the Traditional Procession will take place inside the basilica, established by the City Councilors in 1662. The banner will be carried by members of the Association of the Friends of the Seu on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the entity. City Councilors, Administrators and the Retailers and Grocers Guild will also take part on it.
IMPORTANT NOTE: on the 6th and 7th of December the Seu will be closed to tourist visits, but the celebrations will take place as usual.
The Royal Brotherhood of the Immaculate Conception of Mary
Known as the “Brotherhood of the Favets”, the Royal Brotherhood of the Immaculate Conception of Mary was founded in 1489. On December 8th of that year was celebrated for the first time the feast of its patron saint in the Basilica. Since then, many generations of people from Manresa have continued to show their devotion and love for the Immaculate Conception.
Currently, the brotherhood is governed by a Board of Directors, administrators and assistants under the guidance of Mn Joan Hakolimana, rector of the Basilica of Santa Maria de la Seu in Manresa.